Thursday, November 18, 2010

I Am A Plow

I wish that life had a taxi service; a taxi that could get me where I wanted to go without me putting forth much effort.  "Looking for a fast, easy and understanding way to get through a situation?. . .Take a life taxi!". That would be a pretty sweet billboard don't you think?

When hardship comes along. . .It would be nice to have an easy way out of a situation. The "life taxi" seems pretty sweet. Yet, I wouldn't get in it.

In my eyes, everything that hasn't killed me has made me stronger (Kudos Kanye). People have been in and out of my life. People have inspired me. People have supported me. People have congratulated me.  Yet, not many people have helped me. Not many people have pushed or pulled me anywhere. And for the very few people that I have in my life that do this, I love. I look up to my father because I grew up thinking I was supposed to. I learn so much from him whenever he's around. He's a successful man. I love him. Yet, he isn't a happy man.

I hope to never be like him.

He is the right wheel of my plow as my mother, the left. She's larger in wheel diameter by a couple inches. I spend my weekends with my mom. My mom provides a roof over my head, food in my stomach and a place to sleep. These basics I appreciate. I wish that I knew her better.

My parents allow me to roll forward. . .somewhat.

Then comes the box that sits atop my misshapen wheels: My sister. She keeps me in my right mind. She keeps me calm. Ironically, she's the most hyper, talkative and spasmodic person I know. I don't know how else to describe her. She's amazing.

I love her.

But then, there's someone else. Someone who pulls all of this. My plow. My bestfriend. My advocate. My girlfriend.

I guess without her I really wouldn't get anywhere. I'd just sit in this box, with dis-proportionate wheels, my father calling me to complain about another child-support payment and my mom asking me if I finished cleaning dishes. My girlfriend pushes me to be better. . .constantly. Whether it's directly or indirectly. She's my inspiration for a lot of things. I look up to her. She's the catalyst of my life. And she makes me happy.

These four people I love very much.

Meet my plow.

5 comments:

  1. Aw, this is really deep and touching. Are there things in your life that make you you that aren't people?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is what I get from this:
    you love these people very much, and they make a huge difference in your life. They make it a pain in the butt sometimes, but they also keep you moving forward. Yes?
    Mechanically, I think there can be some better transitions, maybe a better way to link the ideas. It takes a little too much effort to interpret it I think :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is great, i love the symbolism. I guess some advice i could give you is to make your story flow better. One moment you're talking about a taxi of life and then you transition abrubtly to describing people in your family that make up your "plow" (both are great points but try to connect them more fluently). other than that, your blog was great. i enjoyed reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow been that's deep. Great job, but like Clara said, work on making smoother transitions so as not to lose the reader.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post Ben. This was a terrific way to express what you had to say. I can totally agree on some aspects of your "plow."

    Keep up the good work!
    -Deena

    ReplyDelete