Sunday, October 31, 2010

What say you?

A postulate can be accepted or disregarded by society. A postulate can be pondered upon, argued and discussed. Neveretheless, a postulate cannot be proven to be true or false.

The concept of religion portrays my view on postulates excellently. The ideas expressed in many religions have been accepted into society without any means of proof. Have we established an understanding of religious postulates for one another in our current day society?

Let's take a religious view from the Puritan religion into thought. Puritans believe that "Salvation is based on the complete dependence of humans". Meaning, the outcome of ones "after-life" is completely dependent on what they do in our reality (Current society). Is this true?

To the Puritans. . .Yes. Their religious beliefs accepted this ideal "cause and effect" outcome on ones life.

-This Puritan postulate in it's definition isn't important...It is the act of accepting the un-proven that influences our current society-

Sidenote-My views on SL so far...

Boredom was the first feeling that hit me when I first began to read The Scarlet Letter. My ignorance towards the book got the better of me; and I expected this wordy, complicated and intriguing novel to be "some unnecessarily long-ish book, that describes a cheater" (Yes, I said that on my first day of the experience.) Fortunately, as I dove deeper into the books meanings for me. I began to develop a great understanding of what Hawthorne was saying...to me. So far, the book has developed our main character (Hester Prynne), and a few other characters that directly, or indirectly, have some relation with Hester. I enjoy the vast vocabulary Hawthorne uses in The Scarlet Letter because it leaves confusion to the reader. With this confusion comes an attempt to make sense of something that is hard to understand. This attempt to understand produces many forms of interpretation through each readers mind.

I like that.

"What say you?"-The Crucible

No comments:

Post a Comment