Thursday, October 21, 2010

Cultural Stew

"U.S America. . .being a diverse, large and powerful nation carries great amounts of Cultural Diffusion into many communities."

Cultural Diffusion defines the act of two or more cultures/communities coming together and sharing information, ideas, culture, etc. (Usually when cultures interact in this way an ideal collaboration of cultures begins to develop linking each community together). This diversity amongst a nation is what America is composed of. America is one big melting pot of different cultures. 

Let's say we're making cultural stew and you're given the position of being a potato in our "pot". The heat is turned high and you're boiling and cooking as the water temperature rises. As other ingredients are added to the pot, you become a part of a larger community of things (the stew), and you also are indirectly or directly affected by the new "things" in your community (the new ingredients). This is my position on being an American. Assume that you are now a potato in your community. Are you affected by others? Are you a part of a larger community than just yourself?

...These two questions can determine if you're an American.

As for me. . .

I'm confident in saying that "I am affected by other cultures and communities, and by my definition, I am an American". 

Unfortunately, as for us. . .

This isn't what an American is. It becomes much more complicated than that. Even though we are a melting pot of many communities. . .we become a community ourselves. 

I just can't help but ask...Who are the other "Americans"?

3 comments:

  1. Hello Benjamin,
    Nice to hear from you on blogspot! This entry shows off just smart you are. Next time, don't ask me if you should bite the ring pop.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with what you have to say but can we really narrow down what an american is? We are all so different I'm not sure it if it can be determined....
    Also, whats up with the font changes? lol :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. To answer you're question, yes I am affected by other cultures and communities making me an American. But does that mean in other countries when they are affected by an outside culutre/community they are American?

    ReplyDelete