Thursday, September 23, 2010

And in his hands...

"The wrath of God is like great waters"...Is it really? Is this true?

Religion is an extremely controversial topic to discuss. Many people have developed their own views and beliefs within their own religion. People have turned to religion for many things (hope, self-assurance, help, acceptance, etc). Nevertheless, some people don't practice religion the way most people do. When this happens sometimes that person will speak out for themselves. This is what Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God showed me. From the first opinionated sentence, to the analogies of God dangling people over a "pit of hell" gave me reason to become very frustrated with this piece of writing very quickly. As I read through the piece I felt that I was being bombarded by "facts" on god that, in actuality, were just different views on God. The context of Jonathan Edward's story makes sense to me yet, at the same time what is being said I do not believe. It is hard to listen and comprehend something totally un-believable. This is why reading this piece frustrated me...I do not believe in the statements that Jonathan Edwards is stating. Nevertheless, I do respect his view on God dealing with sinners. I don't think you can analyze any one persons belief more or less than they can themselves. This is why religion remains extremely controversial.

"The God that holds you over the pit of hell much as one holds a spider or some loathsome insect over the fire..."

No comments:

Post a Comment